The world is changing and so are the regions and countries. The change is nothing but a transformation process. ASEAN Socio-cultural Community (ASCC) Blueprint 2025 focuses on people centered sustainable development and commits to scale up the quality of people through cooperative activities to scale up the transformation process.
The vision of ASCC 2025 has focused on inclusive, responsive, dynamic, resilient and sustainable communities. Engaging stakeholders, empowering people, reducing barriers, equitable access for all are key concerns for achieving the desired goals of the vision.
There are several issues and challenges such as unorganized and uncontrolled rapid urbanization process coupled with increasing rural-urban disparity, inclusion of rural/urban poor in and sharing of development (inclusive development), achieving zero poverty level and MDGs/SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals). There is a need for multi-stakeholder platform for consultation and agreement on the common approach and strategy. The involvement of youth and hearing their voices are equally important for making a coherent and acceptable resolution.
Deadline for Abstract Submission
30 September 2017
Deadline for Full Paper Submission
20 October 2017
Deadline for early bird registration
1 October 2017
SALIENT FEATURES OF THE FORUM
- Three-day forum
- Group discussions
- Keynote speeches
- Country paper presentation
- Field trip to royal projects of Thailand
- Youth forum
- Preparation of proceedings, and dissemination
- Plenary sessions
With this backdrop, this forum is aiming to discuss and share information on the role and contribution of education in the rural transformation process, in the light of skill development, empowerment, and livelihood security, needed technology and policy options for rural transformation. Specifically, the objectives are:
- To address global and regional agenda/issues of rural transformation, highlighting the current specific issues with cases of rural transformation;
- To encourage the community and youth participation, in mapping out their needs in the context of rural transformation; and
- To share information and distribute the outcomes of the forum on rural transformation among the participating countries of the region and beyond.
THEME AND MAIN TOPICS
The broad theme of this event is the role and contribution of education in the rural transformation process in achieving SDGs.
The main topics will include but not limited to:
- Skills development
- Capacity building and empowerment
- Livelihood and security
- Needed technology for transforming rural production and processing including ICT for rural transformation, and
- Policy options for rural transformation, etc.
Other relevant topics include:
- Rural livelihood transformation
- Gender and development for transformation
- Natural disaster risk reduction for transformation, etc.
All ASEAN member countries and Pan-Asian countries are expected to benefit from this collaborative and cooperative mechanism by sharing experiences and tested facts on a common platform. The direct beneficiaries will be the participants including officials, researchers, professionals and students, while the long-term indirect beneficiaries will be the rural population in all ASEAN plus the 3 countries (Japan, Korea and China). This forum remains open to other participants having similar thinking and interests to contribute and enrich the outputs further.
A number of selected participants from China and the ASEAN member countries will be provided with financial assistance. Participants from other countries are required to support their own costs.